The Significance of Symbolism

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou is a very insightful book. I am very interested to continue digging into this complex story and to explore all the symbolism that it entails. This book has overall been very meaningful on many levels. It has really grown me in my analyzing skills. For example, Angelou says, “Saturdays, however, always broke the mold and dared to be different” (112). This statement seems somewhat simple, but in perspective of the whole book it represents how Angelou challenged the racial expectations that she was given.

I really love Angelou’s voice throughout the text. She speaks phrases that are seemingly simple, but they carry a much deeper meaning than what is just at the surface. It reflects how the events in Angelou’s childhood were seemingly uneventful but they truly held a much deeper significance and shaped her to become the person that she is today. Every word that she chooses to use she uses for a reason and it has been very beneficial to analyze the deeper significance that her writing holds.

One comment

1. tlcteach · February 11, 2019 at 2:20 pm ·

How do Saturday’s break the mold? What phrases does Angelou use that carry that deeper meaning? I think you are on to something here, and I’d love to see you explore it more!